Founded in 2003, Biolexica LLC is a communications consultancy specializing in life sciences and healthcare. We offer scientific and medical writing, marketing communications writing, strategic consulting and program execution services to medical device, biotechnology, and pharmaceutical companies and other health-science research institutions, and the agencies that serve them. Our programs and projects are designed to communicate clients' highly technical information in interesting and easy-to-understand formats that forward their strategic objectives and raise awareness of their programs, products and accomplishments among key audiences.
Biolexica is based in Longmont, Colorado, a thriving city in the Front Range corridor, which includes Denver, Boulder, and Fort Collins. We serve clients nationwide, and invite you to contact us for samples of our work and to discuss your next project.
Why Work with Biolexica?
Biolexica offers senior-level consulting and execution on all projects, flexibility, responsiveness, rapid turnaround, client-ready professionalism and competitive fees. We have deep connections in the medical and health-science communications industries, and have developed a network of partners whose expertise in scientific communications strategy, Web strategy, media relations, design and other related services we can leverage for our clients. Click here to read what our clients have to say about working with us.
As a provider of professional medical writing services, Biolexica adheres strictly to policies regarding Ethical Considerations in the Conduct and Reporting of Research as set forth by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors, and to the American Medical Writers Association Code of Ethics. We do not participate in projects involving ghostwriting or ghost-authorship, guest authorship, undisclosed conflicts of interest, fabricated research or other misconduct in peer-reviewed medical and scientific journals.
As principal of Biolexica, Jeanne McAdara, Ph.D. consults for medical device, biotechnology, and other healthcare companies. She has been responsible for a wide range of scientific communication projects, from the drafting of peer-reviewed clinical and scientific papers, bylined articles for medical trade journals, and white papers to integrated marketing projects such as corporate messaging and branding, Web sites, and collateral development.
Her work has covered a broad range of scientific and clinical disciplines, including cardiothoracic and general surgery, cardiac medical devices, cardiology, oncology (solid and hematologic tumors), neurology, immunology, rheumatology, metabolic disorders, urology, audiology, and applied drug discovery and development.
Jeanne McAdara, Ph.D.
Before founding Biolexica, Jeanne worked for FischerHealth, a strategic communication firm dedicated solely to the healthcare industry and a member of the Porter Novelli family of companies. Prior to that, Jeanne was a postdoctoral research fellow at the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center where she studied the roles of the HOX family of homeobox genes and the c-Fes tyrosine kinase in myeloid differentiation and leukemogenesis. While at UCLA she was awarded a postdoctoral research fellowship from the National Institute of Dental Research to study head and neck cancers.
Before working at UCLA, Jeanne was a doctoral candidate at The Scripps Research Institute. Her dissertation research, funded by an American Heart Association pre-doctoral fellowship, resulted in the discovery, cloning, and characterization of a novel protein subunit of the neutrophil NADPH oxidase.
Jeanne is a member of the American Medical Writers Association and the European Medical Writers Association, and has served as the technology section editor for the AMWA Journal. She also belongs to the Colorado BioSciences Association and is a regular contributor to the association’s annual Bioscience Colorado magazine. Jeanne received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology from the College of Creative Studies at the University of California at Santa Barbara, and her Ph.D. in Macromolecular and Cellular Structure and Chemistry from the Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. She calls Colorado home.
- Natale A, Mohanty S, Mittal S et al. Venous vascular closure system versus manual compression following multiple-access electrophysiology procedures: results from the multi-center randomized AMBULATE trial. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2019;In Press
- Kimball CC, Nichols CI, Vose JG. Blood transfusion trends in primary and revision total joint arthroplasty: recent declines are not shared equally. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019. EPub ahead of print.
- George JC, Tabaza L, Janzer S. Robotic-assisted percutaneous peripheral vascular intervention for bilateral renal artery stenosis. Vasc Dis Management. 2019;16(4):E52-E54.
- MacDiarmid S. Feasibility of a fully-implanted, nickel-sized and shaped tibial nerve stimulator for the treatment of overactive bladder syndrome with urgency urinary incontinence. J Urol. 2019;201(5):967-972
- Britz GW, Tomas J, Lumsden A. Feasibility of robotic-assisted neurovascular interventions: initial experience in flow model and porcine model. Neurosurgery. 2019; Epub ahead of print.
- Al Nooryani A, Aboushokka W. Rotate-on-retract procedural automation for robotic-assisted percutaneous coronary intervention: first clinical experience. Case Rep Cardiol. 2018;2018:6086034.
- Kimball CC, Nichols CI, Vose JG, Peled AW. Trends in lumpectomy and oncoplastic breast-conserving surgery in the US, 2011-2016. Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25:3867.
- Webster L, Henningfield J, Buchhalter AR et al. Human abuse potential of the new opioid analgesic molecule NKTR-181 compared with oxycodone. Pain Med. 2018;19(2):307-318.
- Hmoud H, Sturla M, Delucia L, DeGregorio L, DeGregorio J. Closure of mid-bore venotomies with VASCADE VCD after right and left heart catheterization. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2018;0:e27886.
- Kimball CC, Nichols CI, Nunley RM, Vose JG, Stambough JB. Skilled nursing facility star rating, patient outcomes, and readmission risk after total joint arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2018;33(10):3130-3137.
- Radcliff K, Vijay P, Sarris RF, Speltz M, Vose JG. Preclinical comparison of thermal tissue effects from traditional electrosurgery and a low-temperature electrosurgical device during anterior cervical discectomy and fusion. Int J Spine Surg. 2018;12(4):483-489.
- Kimball CC, Nichols CI, Vose JG. The payer and patient cost burden of open breast conserving procedures following percutaneous breast biopsy. Breast Cancer: Basic and Clinical Research. 2018;12:1-8.
- Page RD, Argento AC, Nash DB, Skoufalos A, Schaefer ES. The role of proteomic testing in improving prognosis and care planning quality measures for lung cancer. Manag Care. 2017;26(9):37-47.
- Griffin DJ, Vose JG. Comparison of a saline-coupled bipolar sealer versus traditional electrosurgery in a porcine model of chronic wound healing. Wounds. 2017;29(12):374-379.
- Miyazaki T, Choi IY, Rubas W et al. NKTR-181: A novel mu-opioid analgesic with inherently low abuse potential. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2017;363(1):104-113.
- Patel H, Lewis CTP, Stephens RL, Angelillo M, Sibley DH. Minimally invasive redo mitral valve replacement using a robotic-assisted approach. Innovations (Phila). 2017;12(5):375-377.
- Bihani T, Patel HK, Arlt H et al. Elacestrant (RAD1901), a selective estrogen receptor degrader (SERD), has antitumor activity in multiple ER(+) breast cancer patient-derived xenograft models. Clin Cancer Res. 2017;23(16):4793-4804.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG. Incidence of bleeding-related complications during primary implantation and replacement of cardiac implantable electronic devices. J Am Heart Assoc. 2017;6(1)
- Nichols CI, Vose JG, Nunley RM. Clinical outcomes and 90-day costs following hemiarthroplasty or total hip arthroplasty for hip fracture. J Arthroplasty. 2017 (epub ahead of print)
- Hattersley G, Harris AG, Simon JA, Constantine GD. Clinical investigation of RAD1901, a novel estrogen receptor ligand, for the treatment of postmenopausal vasomotor symptoms: a phase 2 randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind, dose-ranging, proof-of-concept trial. Menopause. 2017;24(1):92-99.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG. Use of a saline-coupled bipolar sealer open liver resection for hepatic malignancy: Medical resource use and costs. World J Gastroenterol. 2016;22(46):10189-10197.
- Ailawadi G, Agnihotri AK, Mehall JR et al. Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery I: patient selection, evaluation, and planning. Innovations (Phila). 2016;11(4):243-250.
- Wolfe JA, Malaisrie SC, Farivar RS et al. Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery II: surgical technique and postoperative management. Innovations (Phila). 2016;11(4):251-259.
- Lehr EJ, Guy TS, Smith RL et al. Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery III: training and robotic-assisted approaches. Innovations (Phila). 2016;11(4):260-267.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG, Mittal S. Incidence and costs related to lead damage occurring within the first year after a cardiac implantable electronic device replacement procedure. J Am Heart Assoc. 2016;5(2)
- Lewis CT, Stephens RL, Horst V, Angelillo N, Tyndal CM. Application of an epicardial LAA occlusion device by a robotic-assisted, right-chest approach. Ann Thorac Surg. 2016;101(5):e177-8.
- Tussey L, Strout C, Davis M et al. Phase 1 safety and immunogenicity study of a quadrivalent seasonal flu vaccine comprising recombinant hemagglutinin-flagellin fusion proteins. Open Forum Infect Dis. 2016;3(1):ofw015.
- Oezpeker C, Zittermann A, Ensminger S et al. Systemic thrombolysis versus device exchange for pump thrombosis management: a single center experience. ASAIO J.2016;62:246-51.
- Maltais S, Womack S, Davis ME et al. Surgical considerations and challenges for bilateral continuous-flow durable device implantation. ASAIO J. 2016;62(2):e18-21.
- Scully BB, Fan C, Grigoryan B et al. Remodeling of ECM patch into functional myocardium in an ovine model: A pilot study. J Biomed Mat Res. 2016;104(8):1713-1720.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG. Patient Comorbidity Status and Incremental Total Hospitalization Costs in Elective Orthopedic Procedures. Orthopedics. 2016;39(4):237-246.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG. Clinical Outcomes and Costs Within 90 Days of Primary or Revision Total Joint Arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty. 2016;31(7):1400-1406.e3.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG. Comparative risk of transfusion and incremental total hospitalization cost for primary unilateral, bilateral, and revision total knee arthroplasty procedures. J Arthroplasty. 2016;31(3):583-9.e1.
- Nichols CI, Vose JG, Mittal S. Lead damage in the first year following cardiac implantable electronic device (CIED) replacement: incidence and costs based on device type. Value Health. 2015;18(7):A374.
- Stelly MM, Rodning CB, Stelly TC. Reduction in deep sternal wound infection with use of a peristernal cable-tie closure system: a retrospective case series. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015;10(1):1144.
- Garner F, Shomali M, Paquin D, Lyttle CR, Hattersley G. RAD1901: a novel, orally bioavailable selective estrogen receptor degrader that demonstrates antitumor activity in breast cancer xenograft models. Anticancer Drugs. 2015;26(9):948-956.
- Lewis CT, Stephens RL, Cline JL, Tyndal CM. Concurrent minimally invasive aortic valve replacement and coronary artery bypass via limited right anterior thoracotomy. Innovations (Phila). 2015;10(4):273-275.
- Milano C, Pagani FD, Slaughter MS et al. Clinical outcomes after implantation of a centrifugal flow left ventricular assist device and concurrent cardiac valve procedures. Circulation. 2014;130(11 Suppl 1):S3-S11.
- Gerdisch MW, Boyd WD, Harlan JL et al. Early experience treating tricuspid valve endocarditis with a novel extracellular-matrix cylinder reconstruction. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;In press.
- Lewis CTP, Bethencourt DM, Stephens RL, Cline JL, Tyndal CM. Robotic repair of sinus venosus atrial septal defect with partial anomalous pulmonary venous return and persistent left superior vena cava. Innovations (Phila). 2014;9(5):388-390.
- Slachman FN. Constructive remodeling of CorMatrix extracellular matrix after aortic root repair in a 90-year-old woman. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97(5):e129-e131.
- Fallon AM, Goodchild TT, Cox JL, Matheny RG. In vivo remodeling potential of a novel bioprosthetic tricuspid valve in an ovine model.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;148(1):333-340.e1
- Gerdisch MW, Shea RJ, Barron MD. Clinical experience with CorMatrix ECM in the surgical treatment of mitral valve disease. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014;Epub ahead of print.
- Lewis CTP, Stephens RL, Tyndal CM, Cline JL. Concomitant robotic mitral and tricuspid valve repair: technique and early experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2014;97:782-788.
- Stelly M, Stelly TC. Histology of CorMatrix bioscaffold 5 years after pericardial closure. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013;96(5):e127-e129.
- Boyd WD, Tyberg JV, Cox JL. A review of the current status of pericardial closure following cardiac surgery. Exp Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2012;10(9):1109-1118.
- Byl NN. Mobility training using a bionic knee orthosis in patients chronic post-stroke: a case series.J Med Case Reports. 2012;6(1):216
- Fallon A, Goodchild T, Wang R, Matheny RG. Remodeling of extracellular matrix patch used for carotid artery repair.J Surg Res. 2012;175 (1):e25-34.
- Ruidiaz ME, Cortes-Mateos MJ, Sandoval S et al. Quantitative comparison of surgical margin histology following excision with traditional electrosurgery and a low-thermal-injury dissection device.J Surg Oncol. 2011;104:746-754.
- Cho H, Daniel T, Buechler YJ et al. Optimized clinical performance of growth hormone with an expanded genetic code. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:9060-9065.
- Fine RE, Vose JG. Traditional electrosurgery and a low thermal injury dissection device yield different outcomes following bilateral skin-sparing mastectomy: a case report. J Med Case Reports. 2011;5:212.
- Ruidiaz ME, Messmer D, Atmodjo DY et al. Comparative healing of human cutaneous surgical incisions created by the PEAK PlasmaBlade, conventional electrosurgery, and a standard scalpel. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;128:104-111.
- Chang EI, Carlson GA, Vose JG, Huang EJ, Yang GP. Comparative healing of rat fascia following incision with three surgical instruments. J Surg Res. 2011;167:e47-54.
- Boyd WD, Johnson WEr, Sultan PK, Deering TF, Matheny RG. Pericardial reconstruction using an extracellular matrix implant correlates with reduced risk of postoperative atrial fibrillation in coronary artery bypass surgery patients. Heart Surg Forum. 2010;13:E311-6.
- Zhao ZQ, Puskas JD, Xu D et al. Improvement in cardiac function with small intestine extracellular matrix is associated with recruitment of C-kit cells, myofibroblasts, and macrophages after myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2010;55:1250-1261.
- Gerdisch MW, Akinwande AO, Matheny RG. Use of a novel acellular xenograft as a patch for aortic annular enlargement during aortic valve replacement. Innovations. 2010;5:60-62.
- Loh SA, Carlson GA, Chang EI, Huang E, Palanker D, Gurtner GC. Comparative healing of surgical incisions created by the PEAK PlasmaBlade, conventional electrosurgery, and a scalpel. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2009;124:1849-1859.
- Vose JG, McAdara-Berkowitz J.Reducing scalpel injuries in the operating room. AORN J. 2009;90:867-872.
- Carlson A, (McAdara) Berkowitz JM, Browning D, Slamon DJ, Gasson JC, Yates KE. Expression of c-Fes protein isoforms correlates with differentiation in myeloid leukemias. DNA Cell Biol. 2005;24:311-316.
- McAdara Berkowitz JK, Catz SD, Johnson JL, Ruedi JM, Thon V, Babior BM. JFC1, a novel tandem C2 domain-containing protein associated with the leukocyte NADPH oxidase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:18855-18862.
- Yaron Y, McAdara JK, Lynch M, Hughes E, Gasson JC. Identification of novel functional regions important for the activity of HOX B7 in mammalian cells. J Immunol. 2001;166:5058-5067.
- Fuller JF, McAdara J, Yaron Y, Sakaguchi M, Fraser JK, Gasson JC. Characterization of HOX gene expression during myelopoiesis: role of HOX A5 in lineage commitment and maturation. Blood. 1999;93:3391-3400.
- Inanami O, Johnson JL, McAdara JK et al. Activation of the leukocyte NADPH oxidase by phorbol ester requires the phosphorylation of p47PHOX on serine 303 or 304. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:9539-9543.